Giggles and Musings

My life in well...... not a nutshell. I will be telling the world what is going on in mine (my world that is).

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Hairspray!!!

















I really, really, really like this movie. I am going tonight to see it for the 5th time. I can't really explain why I like so much. There is great music and dancing. Everyone in the cast can sing and the comedy is great. I like the John Waters' touches. Also Zac Efron who plays Link Larkin with the blue eyes and dark hair, is gorgeous. I found the New Line Cinemas online shop and am probably going to buy the two Link themed jewelry sets and and both posters. This is currently my favorite musical. All the characters are great and I love whoever did the casting. Michelle Pfeiffer was sensational as Velma Von Tussle, she does evil very well. Allison Janney was also an excellent choice, as she is great in character parts. James Marsden plays the smart, but over the top crooner very well. Christopher Walken's (Wilbur Turnblad) character is very similar to his character in Blast From the Past, which is probably why he was cast. Zac Efron finally got to stretch his vocal cords and really sing. He also gave a fabulous performance, mixing humble, and conceited well. Amanda Bynes gave a performance that was completely different than usual, as she normally plays the outgoing girls. But she did the shy, lollipop-eating girl well. John Travolta played a girl what more needs to be said. It was of the strangest, and interesting things I've ever seen. Queen Latifah gave a fabulous singing, acting, and dancing performance as Motormouth Maybelle. She was one of the more meaningful characters. Brittany Snow played the spoiled, but not quite evil girl to perfection. She was evil, but only because she was raised that way and in the end of the movie you can see her start to change. Elijah Kelley is perfect as Seaweed, because he has the voice and the moves and the perfect attitude. Nikki Blonsky rules the show, with out her the movie would have nowhere near as good.

On a side note I am going to Chicago and Baltimore for two weeks. I am seeing Wicked in Chicago and I will post about that when I get back.

I looked it up and Hairspray is playing on Broadway until March 2008 (at least), so we might go for my 16 birthday.

P.S. I did buy the Link Larkin jewelry sets, as well as the original Hairspray, the book about the current movie and The Musical book (which contains the musical, the lyrics and the music). All that stuff is getting shipped to my grandparents' house. I am going to buy both of the posters when I get back as well. Stay tuned for what I think of Wicked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home