Giggles and Musings

My life in well...... not a nutshell. I will be telling the world what is going on in mine (my world that is).

Friday, November 28, 2008

Australia


My mom called it a big box office film and completely incomparable to other Baz Luhrman movies like Moulin Rouge, but I completely disagree. Now It has to be taken into account that I have never seen Moulin Rouge, but one of my favorite movies is Baz Luhrman's Romeo+Juliet. I thought this was a typical Baz Luhrman movie (I mean that in a good way), showing something in a different way from an interesting perspective. It truly believe that no one else could have pulled off this movie. I thought the performances by Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman where great, but the best actor/character in the movie was King George played by David Gulpilil. His character was amazing and he played it well. Some newspapers have said that Australia fell short or could have been a Disney movie. I have two things to say about that. One, I wish critics would stop beating on movies I like, because I swear critics seem to know very little about the actual moviegoers. And two I completely disagree with those assessments. This a very well done movie, the likes of which you do not see very often, because people (directors/actors) are afraid of them. The story was different and cliche at the same time, but I have to say, at this point what story isn't a cliche. I thought the action scenes were well done and you wanted the characters to succeed. I recommend this movie. Do not listen to my mother, she knows nothing.