Giggles and Musings

My life in well...... not a nutshell. I will be telling the world what is going on in mine (my world that is).

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Romeo & Juliet

I am reading this play for Literature and Composition and surprisingly, I really like it.

The first Shakespeare play I read was A Midsummer Night's Dream in 7th grade (also for school). I didn't really like it, but I think that was because I didn't understand it.

Now, reading Shakespeare again, I understand so much more. We started it just after I watched Shakespeare in Love for the first time, so I think I was also just more interested.

I also, shortly after we started the book in class, bought and watched Baz Luhrmann's 1996 Romeo + Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. This has really helped me understand the play a lot more. I really like the way the movie is done even if I think Baz Luhrmann is insane. I can't say enough about this modernized version of Romeo and Juliet.

I think this play is a classic for a reason. There are so many people in my class who hate it and I just don't know why.

Another thing is that so many of our sayings today were originally written by Shakespeare. I think that it is amazing how many of his old English sayings translated into modern English. Also, some of the most famous lines in the world are from this play.

For example:

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet.

But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the East and Juliet is the sun.

Parting is such sweet sorrow.


So, maybe Shakespeare isn't as outdated as everyone thinks. So much of this play is more vulgar or cutting edge than you realize at first, because it is disguised by the old language.

I don't know about you, but I like Shakespeare. I definitely believe that he is the greatest playwright of all time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home